Estate Planning Attorney: How to Handle Estranged Children

If you have a child that you do not talk to, you may want to make sure that the child does not inherit part of your estate. It can be a tough decision, but the process is relatively simple, especially when you hire an estate planning attorney. In today’s blog, the Davidson Law Group discusses how to handle estranged children.

Why Does Estrangement Occur?

Sometimes parents and children do not get along, and as a result, they cease communication. It could be due to an unresolved conflict from the past. The child may have failed to become self-sufficient. There could also be issues related to the child’s spouse. Regardless of the reasons, the parent may fear that the child would abuse the inheritance they receive. Thus, the parent decides to disinherit their child. What happens next?   

You Need a Will

If you pass away without a will, Texas intestate succession laws apply, and the estate goes to any living children. So, if you do not want a child to inherit your assets, you need to create a will. But that is not all. 

Related Post: Texas Intestate Succession Laws

Specify It in Your Will

Whether you have one or multiple estranged children, you must make it clear that you do not want the child(ren) to receive a part of your estate. Our experienced estate planning attorneys can help you make sure the child is specifically disinherited in your will.

What If You Reconcile?

In some cases, the parents and the child(ren) will eventually reconcile. If you make peace with your estranged child, you can change your will to include them. The Davidson Law Group can help you complete this step, too, and answer any questions you may have.

If you do not make peace with your estranged child(ren), you are not obligated to leave them anything. However, you may consider acknowledging them to give yourself some form of closure. You could also leave them a reduced inheritance, which could urge the child to not contest the will. To learn more about the estate planning alternatives regarding an estranged child, consult with the Davidson Law Group. 

Related Post: Contesting a Will After a Parent Passes Away

Contact the Davidson Law Group

If you live in north Texas and are ready to begin your estate plan, contact the Davidson Law Group. We value our clients and we have a passion for helping people just like you. Contact us today in Fort Worth, Allen, or Tyler to schedule your free consultation!